Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The restaurant, part I - would you like some extra snobbery with that?

Last week I hinted that I would tell you a restaurant story. I think you've waited long enough, so here it comes.

So G and I were in Marco Island last week. The island is pretty upscale - the median home price, according to CNN Money is about $562,000. G and I agreed that if we were rich enough to live in Marco Island, we would take our money somewhere else. It wasn't our style.

The first night we were there, we ended up eating dinner at a little Italian place in a shopping center. The food was tasty and very fresh, but we thought the prices were a little high - $20-25 a plate.

The next night, one of G's coworkers (T) joined us. We drove around looking for a place, and we finally settled on a steak and lobster restaurant. Again, it was in a shopping center, right next to a urology clinic. When we walked in, the host asked us if we had reservations, and then when we told him we didn't, he gave us a snooty, "Let me see what I can do." He picked one of the ten or so empty tables for us.

When our server arrived and learned that we hadn't been to the restaurant before, she gave us the lowdown. They serve much of the food family style, and the portions are generous, so we could order a steak for two and have plenty for all three of us if we had salad and a side or two.

Since I wouldn't be having any steak, G and T decided to split the steak for one. If steak for two would feed three, then steak for one should feed two, right? Oh, I forgot to mention that the steak for one cost $47. A la carte. That's right. Steak. On a plate. With no side dishes. $47.

Our server was kind of uppity when she took our order. "Steak for one? Are you sure that's going to be enough food for the two of you?" You're the one who kept going on about the large portions. By the way, I ordered the crab cakes. $28.

I know you're dying to hear how the food tasted, but I don't want to ramble on too much. Next time . . . One sauce fits all.

By the way, remember what I said about being careful with your thumbs? I was skewering some shrimp yesterday and got a splinter. I pulled it out and went about my business. This morning, though, it hurt pretty bad, and I was a little concerned that maybe some raw shrimp juice got in there and was going to cause an infection. Then I looked more closely and saw there was another piece of skewer in there. I pulled it out, and it seems to be healing fine.

No comments: