Thursday, August 17, 2006

As requested

Several months ago, a couple of our friends happened to be in town. We met up with them at their hotel and walked several blocks to a restaurant we thought they'd like. Well, the owners had decided (without asking us, by the way) it would be a good time for a vacation, so the place was closed. Instead of walking back the way we came, we decided to walk a few blocks farther to have drinks before dinner.

We went to a rooftop bar that had a live band. A LOUD live band. The atmosphere at this place is great except that they have a hard time getting the volume right. So the four of us yelled at each other over a pitcher of sangria.

At some point, the topic of movies came up, I guess, because I was yelling something about "The 40 Year Old Virgin," which we had seen recently. Unfortunately, the music stopped before I finished yelling. To the people within 20 feet of us, it sounded like this:

blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah VIRGIN!

All the people at the neighboring tables (and perhaps in the entire city) put down their drinks to stare at me. If I was a teenager, that would have been the moment that I would have tried to convince my parents that we had to move across the country. I would have been absolutely mortified.

As it was, G, our friends, and I laughed at me and we moved on.

Or I thought we had moved on until one of the friends, J, asked why that story hadn't made the blog. Good question. So here it is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A long time ago, when I was at the University of Virginia, I would sometimes sort the mail that came to our department. One piece of junk mail I remember was addressed to "University Virgin". I thought that was pretty funny.

Anonymous said...

I feel like you are just slow pitching these to me J.

I remember a story where G was jamming out to matchbox 20 and had a similar experience. In fact didn't Rob Thomas stop singing and look at G after he said, "I think I just..." help me out, I can' remember the rest. I am glad to see that awkward outbursts run in the family.

D