Friday, October 28, 2005

Perspective

This is my fifth year as a Girl Scout leader. As the girls in my troop have gotten older, I've moved up with them, so I've known some of the girls in my troop for five years now. One of these girls is L. L's mother was a drug addict, and L was taken away from her at birth. She spent 4 years in foster care before she was adopted. L has fetal alcohol syndrome, which slows her down a little in comparison to other girls her age. She says that kids tease her at school.

In spite of her limitations, L is one of the sweetest girls I could hope to have in my troop. She is always smiling, happy, and ready to help. And last night before our meeting, she broke my heart.

I'm not sure where this came from, but L said that she was glad that she wasn't blind or deaf. She said that not being able to see or to hear would make life really difficult. L then told me that she thanks God for having such a good life with good parents and for everything He has given her.

How's that for perspective? Life will never be as easy for L as it is for so many others, but she is thankful for who she is and what she has. This was a humbling experience for me, and it reminded me again why I love being involved in Girl Scouts. These girls are awesome!

P.S - Another Girl Scout, A, was there during this discussion as well. Although she agreed that it would be hard to be blind or deaf, she reminded us that deafness or blindness doesn't assure a bad life. How wise!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like you're blog...looking forward to the next post.

lg

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your sweet story.

Fran