Monday, February 20, 2006

My gas-guzzling bike

This weekend, I really put Karmen (my bike) through her paces. G and I went out looking for yard sales on Saturday morning. We weren't very successful - I think we only found one. So after riding around a while, we decided to go across the bridge.

This is no little bridge.

I was hesitant. Karmen's a pretty basic bike. G's bike, on the other hand, has an upgrade called "gears." What a difference that makes. He's always leaving me in the dust - and that's on flat ground. I wasn't sure I'd make it up the bridge. And I really hate to fail.

I was headed up the bridge, doing pretty well (breathing hard, but not too hard), almost to the top, when a man walking toward us calls out, "What kind of bike is that?" I used what extra energy I could spare to answer him, but this short conversation required me to slow down a little. I needed that momentum.

But I did it! I made it over.

I was a little nervous going down because my brakes aren't the best. I definitely can't stop on a dime. G suggested he should go first. That way if I couldn't stop, he could help slow me down. The vision of that didn't sound pretty, but it turns out we didn't have to try it.

The way back was much harder, as that side of the bridge is steeper. I made it, but it took a lot more oomph.

I read a quote that I now fully agree with (although this is a paraphrase): Riding a vintage Schwinn is like driving a Cadillac - it's a smooth ride, but it takes a lot of gas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen that bridge and that's an impressive feat -- I would say that riding a vintage Schwinn is definitely not for sissies!

Anonymous said...

My bike, no-name, sits in one place in the basement, no matter how hard I pedal. Bet he's jealous. Or maybe counting his blessings. Who knows? We are both impressed! SP aka GAP