Monday, February 06, 2006

My weekend

Over the weekend, my Girl Scout troop went camping. It was a camping event for our county, and about 150 people went. I'm sure that sounds like enough to worry about, what with 100 girls ages 5 to 18 all in one place, but it gets better -my co-leader and I coordinated the event. We were in charge.

Too bad we couldn't have planned the weather. The troops were scheduled to arrive Friday night about 6:00pm. About 5:30, it started raining. And I mean raining! Buckets of rain, puddles that could swallow a small car, lightning and thunder that made you wonder if the building you were in was safe enough, tornado warnings nearby. It was quite a storm.

We were very glad everyone was sleeping in cabins instead of tents. It stopped raining about 8:00 Saturday morning, and the sky was clear by lunchtime. Then we became thankful for the cabins again on Saturday night when the temperatures got down into the 30's, and the wind started howling.

Despite the less-than perfect weather, we had a good time. It was voted the best Thinking Day* weekend ever. It was an unofficial vote, but we'll take it.

*Thinking Day is a Girl Scout event you can learn about here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the concept of a thinking day, most especially a global thinking day. The weather may have brought a chill to the bone and had you wishing for Noah's ark, but knowing you I know it didn't bring a chill to the spirit. Congratulations on a great camp! SP