Friday, March 17, 2006

Creatures of habit

Yesterday, I used up the last of the conditioner in the shower. Maybe this doesn't seem like a big deal to you. Maybe you don't have curly hair.

Actually, I wasn't worried either. I've been using the same conditioner for I can't even remember how many years. At least since high school, maybe even before that. I used to use the name brand expensive kind, but then Suave started making a rip-off that was just as good for a small fraction of the cost. So that's been my brand. Since I'm somewhat (totally) dependent on this product for my morning sanity, I usually have one or two extra bottles in the cabinet.

So no problem. Except there wasn't any in the cabinet. No conditioner anywhere!

G was planning to go to Target yesterday, so I showed him the empty bottle and asked him to get some for me. He went to Target, but they didn't have it. (To illustrate how important conditioner is in my curly life, and how much he knows it, I'll tell you that G not only emailed this fact to me, but he also called to make sure I got the message.)

We have been living in a house without groceries for several days (blame that on too much work), so last night we went to the store for groceries and for conditioner, not necessarily in order of importance.

G drove us to Publix, but not before getting in the turn lane for Home Depot, which is on the way. I asked him what we needed (notice that I was sure we needed to go, I just didn't know why). He then realized he was just navigating on auto-pilot, which evidently always ends up at Home Depot. (By the way, we started working on the house last weekend - we demo'ed the closet that will become our half bathroom and put up drywall.)

But guess what? Publix didn't have my conditioner either! I bought another Suave product. I used it this morning, and it seemed to go okay. I'm not loving my hair, but I think that has more to do with needing a haircut than with the conditioner switch.

I'll keep looking for my old conditioner. And when I find it, I'll buy the whole inventory. G will have to build a new cabinet for my stockpile. Add that to the list of home renovations.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just be thankful you didn't empty the peanutbutter jar, or deface it in any manner. I have heard that can ruin friendships.