Thursday, January 26, 2006

The not-so-sweet old lady

Shortly after Christmas I visited Old Navy. Typically, I find either a ton of great things or a pile of things that only look good on the hanger. This visit I ended up with a cute belt that was on sale for less than $2.00. I'd call that a bargain.

Two sweet old ladies were behind me in the checkout line. At least I thought they were sweet. Then I overheard them have the following conversation:
Woman #1 (picking up a foam football): This is really cute.
Woman #2 (in a really sarcastic voice): Oh, it's precious. I wish I had four of them.
Woman #1 (unfazed): I like footballs.
Woman #2: Why?
Woman #1: The kids love them. I bought some for Christmas presents and they had a ball.
So Woman #1 was sweet. The other woman, not so much.

I just realized that I could end up a non-sweet old lady. I always pictured myself as being a cuddly cookie-baking grandma. But what if my current case of sarcasm just builds and builds until it takes over and I can't even be nice to other grandmas?

Won't I be precious? You'll want four of me.

No comments: