Thursday, January 19, 2006

The starer

G and I went camping recently. Not backwoods roughing it camping. More like being on vacation except instead of sleeping in a hotel, we slept in a tent. There was a bathhouse just a stone's throw from our campsite with hot showers and everything.

One morning, I was in the bathhouse doing my after-shower primping. I have a really cool ditty bag for all my toiletries, and a woman asked me about it - Where did I get it? (It was a gift, but it comes from L.L. Bean.) Do I like it? (Yes, very much so.) Should I get one? (Yes, you definitely should.)

After this discussion, I began drying my hair. I was looking in the mirror, but I could see the woman out of the corner of my eye. She was staring at me. Not doing anything, just staring at me. This went on for an uncomfortable period of time - she staring, me pretending not to notice. It was weird.

Then she spit into the sink, and I realized she had been using mouthwash. That's why it looked like she wasn't doing anything except staring. My peripheral vision didn't pick up on her subtle swishing. I forgave her the staring at that point. Her mind was obviously on her mouthwash, not me.

No comments: