Thursday, April 13, 2006

The car wash

We have a new car wash in town. It's one of those drive-through ones where you don't have to even get out of the car unless you want to vacuum (which is free, by the way). It's pretty fancy. The most exciting part about this car wash is that they have Wild Wednesday*, when a basic car wash is only $3. What a deal!

I had never been to a drive-through car wash until a couple months ago when G and I took my car through. I was excited about finally having the experience of sitting in my car while it was being washed, and it lived up to the hype.

I have visited the car wash twice on my own now, and I must say that the experience has lost some of its glamour. In fact, I don't like it at all. As I was sitting in line waiting my turn yesterday (Wild Wednesday is popular, as you might expect), I realized my stomach was all in knots. I'm not usually a very nervous person.

My least favorite part of the car wash is when I can't see out of the windows because of the soap and/or cleaning cloths. Even though I know the conveyor is pushing me along at the same speed as it is every other car, I have the feeling that I am going to run into the car in front of me. I also get a little claustrophobic.

The good part about the car wash is that it's quick. My claustrophobia and general discomfort only last a couple of minutes, and then I get to enjoy my nice clean car. It's a good reward.

* Not to be confused with Wacky Wednesday. In college, Wacky Wednesday was the day you could get a large pizza (with one topping maybe, although that seems too good to be true) from Hungry Howies for $3.99. Or was it $2.99? It was ridiculously cheap. And delicious.


No comments: