Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Tiny peas

I like vegetables. Of course, fresh is best, but I always like to keep my freezer stocked, too. As with many products, I know what I like when it comes to frozen veggies. I usually buy corn and peas in big bags (Publix brand), and spinach, lima beans, and broccoli in boxes (Green Giant).

The Green Giant boxes are a bit of a splurge, but so worth it. The veggies come in a bag inside the box, designed to be cooked in the microwave. I don't know how they do it, but those veggies are the most flavorful! Hence the splurging.

Sometimes the Green Giant boxes are on sale, and then I stock up. The last time this happened, they were really cheap, so I branched out of my usual selections and got a box of peas, too.

I thought the Green Giant peas would be similar to bagged peas. But I guess I hadn't noticed they were "baby" peas. Or if I noticed, I didn't realize this would be a whole new culinary experience.

Have you had these? They're so tiny! I couldn't stop talking about them over dinner. They are so much tinier than regular green peas that it's like eating a different food. Amazing. That said, I'm not sure I like them better. I think I'd have to get used to them.

If they can harvest the peas that early (I assume that the peas are just harvested earlier and not bred for smaller size. If not, then they shouldn't really call them babies.), then why not harvest them even earlier. I'm envisioning peas the size of the orange flying fish eggs on top of sushi. Now wouldn't that be a taste sensation?

The problem would be the name. If they were younger than baby peas, then I guess they would be fetal peas or embryonic peas. That doesn't sound as appetizing. I'll keep working on it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From reading your blog I gather that vegetarians don't have the problem eating "baby peas" that some of us carnivores have eating veal. I do eat veal now and then, but I try hard not to conjure up pictures of Mommy and Veal in the pasture. I will have to join your ranks some day or beef up (pun intended) on mind control.