Tuesday, April 11, 2006

You don't say

Writing about the aquarium the other day reminded me of a funny story.

A few years ago, I took my neice M to an aquarium. As a side note, she insisted on wearing a pink leotard that had an attached skirt, but it was cold outside. No problem. She wore jeans over the leotard, with the skirt out over the jeans.

Anyway, one of the exhibits at the aquarium was a touch tank that had various animals in it - crabs, shells, small fish. There was a high school volunteer at the tank to offer guidance and information on the creatures.

M and I were the only ones at the tank, so we had the volunteer all to ourselves. Which meant that I had to try very hard not to laugh out loud when she talked about how cool the anemones were. It wasn't that I didn't agree with her about their coolness. It was her pronunciation.

Instead of a-NEM-o-nee, she said AN-i-moan.

I say it like that in my head now. It makes me smile.

No comments: