Friday, December 02, 2005

Bengay and Old Spice

There are many quirky little things G and I do in the interest of saving money or "beating the system," as we like to call it. One of these things is that instead of renting movies from the store, we "rent" them from our local library for free. (We often end up paying a dollar or two for them since the late fee is a dollar a day, but it's still cheaper than Blockbuster.) As a result, we rarely see movies while they would be considered "new releases." We're okay with that.

We recently watched the movie Something's Gotta Give, with Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton. It was relatively entertaining, but it reminded me how very repulsive Jack Nicholson is. Particularly as a love interest. Every time I look at him, I think of the Joker. This might be appropriate, since Nicholson played that character in Batman, but it's not a pretty picture.

When he does this:



I see this:



Not pretty, huh?

I won't ruin the movie for you if you haven't seen it, but I find it very unbelievable that dozens of attractive women half his age would go out with this guy. You've got to be kidding me. I was flabbergasted at the ending of the movie. No way.

As G said, you could smell the old man scent through the TV screen.

One really nice thing about the movie was Diane Keaton's character's house. It was in the Hamptons (I always thought this was a mountain range, but it turns out it's a beach area on Long Island) and absolutely beautiful. It was decorated in muted shades of white, cream, and khaki, and it looked so homey and inviting. G and I both commented on liking the color scheme and mused about how we could incorporate that into our house renovations.

After thinking about it more, I'm not sure that color scheme's going to work out for us. Neutral tones can make a nice house with nice stuff look understated and chic (particularly with the backdrop of sand dunes and sunrises through the windows), but they can also make a more average house look like a rental.

We've done "rental." We're ready for some color.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, don't knock old men. We are the repository of communal wisdom. It's just that we forget it sometimes. Anyway, old Jack has a new movie out, called Shining. Here's the Trailer:
http://www.ps260.com/molly/SHINING%20FINAL.mov