Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Maybe I already told you about this . . .

but if I didn't, then you'll be glad I blogged about it.

Some friends invited us over for dinner a couple of weeks ago. They were serving a dish similar to fish tacos (which G and I are fans of). The dish had a really snazzy name, but I can't recall what it was right now - Fiesta Salmon or Mexicana Salmon. Ooh I remember - Salmon Mexicali! This inspired me to try to name all dishes something exciting. I think it might make everything taste better.

I consider myself a good guest. I always ask to see if there's anything I can bring. If they say no, I try not to bring anything (this goes against the grain, but I try). On this occassion, our friends said we could bring something if we wanted to. In our current state of home improvement, I barely have time to grocery shop and make decent meals (spaghetti) for G and I. I'm generally not up to making things good enough for other people to eat.

So G and I decided to stop and buy some chips and dip on the way over. We did so, spending more than a couple minutes on the chip aisle. We aren't big chip eaters, so this aisle is a bit foreign. We just wanted regular potato chips, but G thought all the bags were too big ($4.00 for a bag of chips?). We finally found what we needed and moved on.

As I was exiting the chip aisle, a separate display caught my eye. It contained Cheetos, but the bag had the word "natural" on it. Is this not an oxymoron? And who are they marketing to? I'm not sure the health food crowd is going to embrace a Cheetos product, and I'm not sure any self-respecting Cheeto-eater is going to choose a bag with "natural" written in big letters.

We happened to enjoy some Cheetos (not natural) this weekend with our niece and nephew (their choice of chip). I had forgotten how good they are. I don't want to like them, but I really do. Maybe that's the market - adults who forgot how good Cheetos are but feel guilty about eating them now. Hmmm . . . maybe they're onto something.

No comments: