Monday, December 05, 2005

The family

G's brother drove nine hours to come visit us this weekend. That's nice all by itself, but he brought our niece (7 years old) and nephew (4 years old) down with him, too. What a great bonus!

G took his bro fishing - both fresh and saltwater - and I got to hang out with the kids. We had a lot of fun. We made Christmas ornaments (or "ordaments," as the nephew says), played on our local playground, had dinner with G's parents, watched a couple of movies, and played pick up sticks (this is an actual game, not just picking up sticks from the yard).

Our nephew is a very easy going kid - very agreeable and happy most of the time (all of the time this weekend). He is also very much into trucks and tractors and anything with a motor, I think. Any truck that has tires bigger than normal is a "monster truck," and an extra large tractor is a "monster tractor." Luckily, there were two tractors in the construction site across from our house on Saturday. He almost couldn't contain himself long enough to get his shoes on. He kept saying, "Aunt ______, hurry up. Hurry up." We sat on the sidewalk and watched them for quite a while.

Our niece is a super fun kid, too. Of course, she's at the age now when she knows everything. On our way to dinner with G's parents, we could see the moon. I told her that phase of the moon could be called a crescent because of the shape of it. She disagreed because she hadn't learned that in science class. I reasserted my statement. She said quietly, "That's fine, but it's false." I added an additional fact or two to strengthen my position, but I don't know if she bought it.

Later in the drive she asked if I knew the word "SunCom." I told her I didn't, and she told me it comes on TV where they live. I told her I hadn't seen it on our TV, so she kindly explained. "It's truth in wireless." (I checked it out, and that is their slogan. It sounds very heady, but it turns out that just means they include taxes and fees in their rate quotes instead of adding them on later.)

We had a great time this weekend, and we can't wait to see everyone again for Christmas in January!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely going to use that line, "That's fine, but it's false." Reminds me of a friend we had who always said, "You might be right but I don't think so," but it's a slightly more polite version!