Wednesday, November 30, 2005

The narcoleptic bookworm

Last night I tutored several GMAT students at a Borders bookstore. We sat in the cafe area with every college study group in town. The cafe has tables around the perimeter and couches and chairs in the center. My little group was at a table near one of the couches.

Sitting on that particular couch was a man with a cup of coffee reading. I didn't catch what h
is first book was, but the second was Shakespeare's play Julius Caesar. The next time I looked over, this guy was sleeping! Not homeless-man-in-the-library sleeping, but sitting-on-your-couch-at-home-reading-something-you're-not-really-into sleeping. He was still holding the book up, but it had kind of slipped closed, so it was clear he was no longer actually reading.

Now, I can relate to narcoleptic lapses. I've been known to nod off in classes, meetings, seminars, libraries, etc. But if I had fallen asleep in the cafe at Borders, I think I would have decided it was time to pack up my stuff and head home.

Not this guy. After he woke up, he continued to sit there and read. And drink coffee (decaf?). I think he just really didn't want to buy the book (which goes for $5.99, by the way).

P.S. - If anyone wants to start a business with me, how about a high school/college study lounge? We could have comfy places to study and we could sell snacks and drinks. The only problems are that: 1. I don't know how we'd actually make money, since most studiers don't want to shell out the cash to eat or drink. 2. They already have these - they're called coffee shops.

No comments: